Vegetable Beef and Bean Stew is a hearty and filling dish full of vegetables, beef, potatoes and beans in a rich broth.
I have this deep passion for stew or anything soup-like. My husband, on the other hand, isn’t a huge fan. He always says it leaves him hungry. Maybe it’s my love of rich broth. If I could, I would make chicken noodle soup with mostly broth, two noodles, three pieces of carrot, no chicken, and, of course, served in a mug with my special soup spoon. My mother is the exact same way. When we go to Panera, we will order chicken noodle soup, low on the noodle. We load our crusty baguettes with butter and dunk it into the delicious, salty broth. I could live off of soup. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, why not? There are just so many ways to make soup.
This vegetable and bean beef stew is full of delicious, real food ingredients, lots of vegetables, a rich broth, beans, and grass-fed meat, and is really hearty. You know, to please the hubby. It will leave your belly warm and full. Perfect for the Oregon winters. It rains just about every day. And, while I would rather have rain than snow, I keep looking at southern Illinois weather where it is almost 60 degrees in January. Crazy southern Illinois weather. Sometimes I miss you.
You can use homemade broth or store-bought (I use store-bought broth a lot since August has a chicken allergy, and I have not found a cheaper way to make beef broth yet) and canned beans. I often precook the beef. This makes it a very simple and delicious meal that can easily be thrown together on a weeknight. And boy does this recipe make a lot of soup. I love to make this on Sunday so I have leftovers for lunch, and if we have a soup-er (see what I did there… haha) busy night I can just heat it up and serve. That’s what I call fast food!
This recipe can also be made Whole30 by omitting the beans.
- 1/2 lb ground beef cooked (I usually cook up a whole lb, and then use the rest in another recipe)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large red potatoes, diced with skin on
- 64 oz of broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable), homemade or store-bought
- 2 cans cannellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- salt and pepper to taste (I like salty soup, so I use a lot)
- dash of red pepper
- 1/2 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbs dried or fresh rosemary
- fresh herbs to garnish
- Saute carrots, onion, garlic and celery until they become translucent (~ 5 minutes).
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except the precooked ground beef, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in cooked ground beef and let simmer for another 10 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Serve and enjoy.
I hope you enjoy this delicious and very filling soup. Hubby even told me this was his new favorite soup.