Going sustainable is very cost efficient, will save you lots of money, and help the earth. I didn’t just wake up one day and say hey I want to live more sustainably. Actually it came about because I was getting married and knew we were going to have to learn to save money. So out of my cheapness wanting to be more frugal I learned to be more sustainable.
17 Ways To Live More Sustainably
1. Use cloth napkins instead of paper. You can make them yourself very simply with left over fabric or find a really cute fabric at your local craft store.
2. Use reusable sponges for dish cleaning. Once they get nasty you can throw them in the dishwasher!
3. Stop using coffee filters. You are probably thinking what? How could I not use coffee filters? Well you can get yourself a french press. I have one of these and its awesome. All I do is put coffee in the french press, than boil water in a kettle or in the microwave then and pour it over the grounds. Wait a few minutes, push the little metal mesh filter thing down and wa la you have coffee without a filter.
4. Use a E-reader or your computer for reading books rather than buying them. I need to get better at this one. I don’t usually buy books unless its a gift to my husband, but I do buy textbooks (used ones for the most part) for school and a lot of them are available as an e-reader.
5. Don’t buy commercial cleaning products. These products usually contain harsh chemicals, perfumes, dyes, but also all those containers you purchase and just throw them away. You can buy reusable spray bottles to refill and make your own cleaning products. We make all our cleaning products (check out the recipes I use for laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, all purpose cleaner (coming soon), liquid hand soap, and dish soap (coming soon))
7. Ditch the paper towels and just use rags. Saves you a bunch of money and the environment.
8. Join a Community Supported Agriculture- usually these CSAs try to practice sustainable farming without pesticides. You’re also helping out your local community.
9. Eat organic as much as possible. I understand it can be expensive trust me! But it can also be reasonable if you shop sales and use coupons (you can find digital coupons too)
10. Cook your own meals! This might sound weird, but just think about it. If you are buying processed foods just think about where they came from. Most of them probably come from big manufactures that produce lots of waste and put smog into the air. If you make your own food you are avoiding that.
11. Start a garden. I’m working on this one because I don’t have a green thumb by any means. It is always way cheaper and healthier than buying from the store.
12. Buy less new clothes and start shopping at thrift stores. This one has been new to me this year and Im still trying to get my husband to do this more.
13. Try not to use disposable cups and plates. Adds extra trash and you could just use normal plates and wash them. Plus they are so expensive!
14. Use microfiber dusters instead of a swiffers. When it gets dirty you can just throw it in the wash
15. Use reusable bags! Not just at the grocery store but anywhere you might take a bag with you.
16. Take a no trash lunch with you to work or school. Not only is this good for the environment it good for your wallet. Use a lunchbox, bring utensils from home, and use containers or jars, or a reusable sandwich bags.
There you have it, 17 ways to become more sustainable and save some money. How are some ways you’re living more sustainable and saving money?