I was having a hard time to think about what to blog about (which usually doesn’t happen) and I was trying to think of some things I have been struggling with lately. Eating healthy is something I love to do and love to talk about (it’s what I am in grad school for), but sometimes I go through times where it is just hard or things get in the way. For instance, my husband and I decided we should try to make most of the foods we eat organic (find out why here) and of course eat mostly a plant based diet. We feel a lot better when we eat this way.
The only problem is it is a little more expensive to eat organic and as you may know I have this very frugal side to me that doesn’t like to spend money. So we will go on kicks for awhile of eating really healthy and mostly organic to slowly starting back to eating a little less healthy (which is still pretty healthy) and less organic. Until my husband realizes it and says we need to starting eating better. This happens to a lot of other people to and not just me right? I have to remind myself when I start wanting to keep the grocery money rather that spend it that eating healthy is going to save us money on health care in the long run! I will get sick less often and will have a decreased chance of diseases later on in life.
Ways to stay motivated…
- Make a list of how you feel when you eat healthy and how you feel when you don’t eat healthy. I have so much more energy and can concentrate better when I eat healthy
- Watch food documentaries like Forks Over Knives and Food Matters (available on netflix) I’ve seen Forks Over Knives at least 10 times and I never get bored!
- If your trying to lose weight have a picture around of you at your heaviest so when your having a rough day you can look at it to see how far you have come.
- Find substitutes for your favorite foods. When I’m craving chocolate and sweets my go to is Chocolate Peanut Butter Soft Serve (no guilt).
- Remember when you want to save money on groceries that in the long run eating healthy now will save you a lot of money in the future!
- Work out! Working out always makes me want to nourish my body well.
- Eat often. The longer you go without eating or if you skip a meal the more likely you will just indulge on anything you can get your hands on and eat way more than you would like.
- Don’t deprive yourself completely. Its ok to give into temptation once in awhile. Just remember portion control.
- Its a lifestyle change not a diet!Stick to it and don’t give up. If you fall off the hours get right back on. Not tomorrow but today!