Natural Homemade Sunscreen
DIY sunscreen is a simple, natural, and effective way to stay safe in the sun. Homemade sunscreen takes a few ingredients and has a bug repellent option.
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Shea Butter
- 1/4 cup bees wax grated and packed
- 2 Tbs Non nano Zinc Oxide Powder
- few drops Vitamin E Oil optional
- 10-20 drops essential oils for bug repellant option use Citronella, Cedar Wood, Lavender, Peppermint
Place first 3 ingredients into a double boiler or mason jar and lightly twist lid. Place jar into a pot with a few inches of simmering water and let ingredients melt stirring occasionally. Once melted, take mason jar out of the water, and mix in Zinc oxide and vitamin E (be careful NOT TO INHALE ZINC OXIDE). Allow to cool for a few minutes and stir in essential oils. Pour sunscreen into a squeeze bottle like this one, an old deodorant tube, or a mason jar. Keep stored in a cook dry place!
Always talk to your doctor before using essential oils.
They are differing opinions on the safety about using essential oils during pregnancy.
Children and pregnant women should avoid using many essential oils. Always check with a medical provider.