There’s no doubt that we love ice cream around here… Like way too much. Nothing to eat for dinner? Ice cream! Feeling snacky in the afternoon? Ice cream! Wanting to eat your feelings? Ice cream! Hah, but seriously… The only problem with this is that the hubby can only tolerate dairy in very small amounts (see why here). So I wanted to come up with a rich and creamy dairy free custard as a delicious replacement.
In the last few weeks we have bought are fare share of dairy free ice cream. But it is SO. Freaking. Expensive! Seriously… $5-6 for a pint. Which is one serving right? Kidding. But this custard cost maybe $5 for 1.5 quarts (AKA 3 pints). So at just a third the cost I’ll take it. Also, it includes all natural ingredients like full fat coconut milk, egg yolks, vanilla beans, vanilla extract, and less healthy but still natural organic brown sugar (moderation people). I tried this out on some regular ice cream lovers, including our very own Libby, and it was a winner.
- Bring the coconut milk to a soft boil.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar and egg yolks.
- Slowly add the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly, to prevent the eggs from clumping together.
- Stir in vanilla extract and scrapped vanilla bean.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Pour into ice cream maker as directed.
- When ice cream is as thick as desired eat right away or freeze to eat later.
Do you have to eat dairy free? Ever tried making your own homemade ice cream?
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links help support this blog without any extra cost to you.