DIY eyeliner recipe is a ridiculously tutorial on how to make your own natural eyeliner with two ingredients. If you love a good black eyeliner to make our eyes pop and lashes full that this recipe is for you. Follow my tips below on making homemade eyeliner.
You will need: activated charcoal, distilled water, and a small makeup brush.
This post was updated January 2019
I’m loving this makeup series! For one, I get to share with y’all natural and frugal makeup recipes. Secondly, I am so encouraged by everyone and your excitement about the recipes! So thank you!
This week I want to share with you how to make super simple DIY eyeliner, which you can also use at a smokey black eyeshadow!! It’s just two ingredients! I tested a few different versions of this.. I tried adding in a little coconut oil and aloe vera gel, just coconut oil, or just aloe. The version I’m going to share with you worked the best and stayed on the longest without getting sweaty and moving.
Why make your own homemade eyeliner?
I’ve been on a quest for a long time to switch all my makeup and skincare products to clean natural ones. The only problem is, we are on a tight budget and justifying really expensive natural makeup is difficult for me. Especially when they are so easy to DIY. Also, at the time of first publishing this article, there were very few natural options.
Now, doing a quick search on EWG’s website, it is amazing the amount of products that rank 1 or 2. Even some conventional brands. Goes to show that companies are listening.
Ok back to DIY eyeliner… have I mentioned how inexpensive it is. Truly, this is a really effective and cheap. It even does double duty, since this eyeliner can also be a eyeshadow. Bigger bang for your buck.
Tips for Making Homemade Eyeliner
- Used distilled water to help prevent bacteria.
- Use a very fine tip brush to apply homemade eyeliner
- Apply before putting in contacts to prevent the activated charcoal from getting on your contacts.
- For a really simple version, just take activated charcoal and dip your damp eyeliner brush in it.
How To Make DIY Eyeliner (& Eyeshadow) Recipe 2 Ways
DIY Eyeliner In a Pan
- 4 capsule activated charcoal
- A few drops of distilled water
- Empty eyeshadow tin
In a small container place 4 capsule of activated charcoal and dd a 2 drops of water and stir,
Continue to add water a drop or two at a time and stir until the charcoal starts to clump.
Slowly add the mixture to an empty and clean eyeshadow tin and press down with your fingers until smooth.
Step 5: (Optional)
If you the homemade eyeliner to be smooth in the eyeshadow container, take a spoon on and rubbed it against the top pressing down. I really only did this to take a nicer picture.
Really Easy DIY Eyeliner #2
Leave the charcoal loose and dip a damp brush in it. If you’re using it as eyeshadow make sure to tap off the extra charcoal well.
To use: Take a small brush like this one, dampen brush with water, wipe across pressed charcoal or dip into the loose charcoal, and use as you would normal eyeliner pencil! Of course try not to get it in your eyes!
For color variation: try cocoa powder for brown (I haven’t thoroughly tested this). For gray just use less activated charcoal.
Want more Homemade Makeup Recipes? Check these out!
- DIY Natural Foundation Powder – I’ve been using this recipe for 8 years now
- Homemade Natural Bronzer
- Homemade Natural Mascara
- Make your own Homemade Makeup Remover
DIY Eyeliner And Eye Shadow
Simple DIY Eyeliner is only 2 ingredients
- 4 capsule activated charcoal
- few drops distilled water
- n a small container place 4 capsule of activated charcoal. Add a 2 drops of water and stir, continue to add water a drop or two at a time and stir until the charcoal starts to clump. Slowly add the mixture to an empty and clean eyeshadow tin and press down with your fingers until smooth.
This next step is totally optional, but to make it smoother on top I took a large spoon and rubbed it against the top pressing down. I really only did this to take a nicer picture :).
Have you tried to make your own homemade makeup before?