Have y’all been experiencing the cold like we have here in southern Illinois? One thing I love about living here is that it doesn’t snow much and the winters are pretty tame… usually. This year has been much colder than I remember the previous winters being. Oh well. It’s a great excuse to cuddle up on the couch with a comfy blanket, hot soup, and watch a movie (or a marathon of your favorite show)! We have had a few snow days, which have been amazing! I never thought I would miss winter breaks as much as I do now that I don’t get one. #newgraduateproblems
Back to thinking about something warm… This soup is super yummy and easy to make! It also contains lots of healthy ingredients! No fake cream-of-something canned soup. Just simple ingredients and simple tastes.
See that spoon there? That’s the best spoon ever (AKA my favorite spoon). It was my grandmother’s, then my mom got it, and then I
stole politely took without asking that one lone spoon from her (insert evil laugh). FYI, she knows I have it. 🙂 Am I crazy, or do you have that favorite item?
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- a few tbs butter and/or olive oil
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 large onion
- 5 gloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken stock (preferably homemade bone broth)
- 2 cups whole milk or half & half (I used raw milk, so it was a mixture of cream and milk)
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large soup pot, add butter and/or oil, chopped carrots, celery, and onions. Cook until soft.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and a bay leaf and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add in chicken stock, let soup come to a boil, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat and stir in cream, cooked rice, and chicken, and simmer for 10 more minutes watching carefully so that it doesn’t over boil.
- Pour into bowls or your favorite mug and enjoy.
- Place leftover soup in the fridge.
Enjoy this delicious and classic soup! I hope you all stay nice and warm during this very chilly time! Cuddle up with a nice blanket, someone you love, and this warm delicious soup. Have a great week!