One of my favorite things in the whole world next to ice cream is a Chicago favorite called Diana’s Bananas. Every time I go home to visit my mom always buys these for me and I eat the entire box during the 2.5 days I’m there.
Talk about no self control!
Well they used to be impossible to find anywhere else so I decided to start make my own!
They are so delicious, super easy, and cheap! These frozen chocolate covered bananas are also the perfect way to use up extra bananas.
It is also a great recipe just in time for summer!
Okay I have to tell you a funny little story. This post is really old. So old the pictures no longer worked, so I went to redo it and take new photos.
I had gathered pretty things to top the banana pops with. Started making a bunch, few plain ones, and while taking some photos I knocked over the glass of chocolate…
Now this wouldn’t be a huge deal if I made them in the kitchen like a normal human being. Food blogger here, and the only good lighting is in my bedroom… that has carpet.
On that same note… If anyone knows how to get coconut oil chocolate stain out of carpet let me know… I tried everything.
Tips for making frozen chocolate covered bananas:
Don’t make this over carpet…. hahah see story above.
Can you eat frozen bananas?
Are frozen bananas healthy?
What makes this recipe healthy?
Chocolate Covered Bananas Recipe
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
- 3 to 4 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- toppings like coconut or nuts (optional)
- popsicle sticks
1. Cut bananas in half and stick popsicle stick inside. Lay on cookie sheet that has been lined with a baking mate or parchment paper. Place in freezer for 1 hour
2. Melt coconut oil in a microwave safe container. Place in microwave, use 30 second intervals to melt coconut oil. Whisk in sugar, coco powder, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt.
4. Dip frozen bananas in chocolate. I like to dip mine twice to get a good coat. Add toppings if desired. Freeze for 2 hours.
5. Eat and be extremely happy! That’s how I am every time I eat these!
You can store the extras (if there are any) in a ziplock bag or freezer safe container in the freezer for up to a couple weeks.
Side note: You can make a healthier version by making the same recipe but instead of dunking the bananas you could just drizzle the chocolate coating on top so you don’t eat as much of it!
Just an fyi I might have been eating one of these while I was writing this post 🙂