Easy homemade granola recipe is a sweet and salty snack that takes 5 minutes to put together. This will become your new favorite go-to healthy homemade granola recipe. Follow my tips below on how to make this easy recipe and different options for ingredients to use.
Ingredients you will need: oats (rolled or old fashioned), pecans, honey, chia seeds, flaxseeds, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
This post was updated December 2018
My Mom’s Healthy Homemade Granola Recipe
Crunchy, sweet, and salty. What is not to love about homemade granola? Granola is one of those things that you buy at the store, but it is so much healthier and cheaper to make yourself. Maybe I’m a control freak, but I love to be able to control what goes into my food. Who wants preservatives and ingredients that are hard to pronounce? Not this girl.
I’m not going to lie and tell you this is my recipe…. this isn’t my recipe. Gasp. It’s actually my moms, and she graciously offered it to me to share on the blog. Isn’t she great? She will come up with blog ideas from time to time, and she is nice enough to share them with me. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can change and adapt it to your liking. Add some dried cranberries or blueberries. Why not? Chocolate chips. Awesome. Different assortment of nuts. All up to you, or leave it be and eat it with your hands, while binge-watching Gilmore Girls. I’m not not here to judge.
My mom makes this recipe every single week and we made this together while my family was visiting Chicago for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, the weather was really crummy during our stay, and I couldn’t take good final pictures of of this healthy granola recipe. So, I took a baggy back home with us, and the weather has still been not great. Why am I telling you this? Because that delicious final picture of granola is over two weeks old and luckily still tasted pretty darn good. For the pictures, I topped it with chocolate chips, coconut shavings, and pomegranate for color, but you can add whatever fix’ins you like. See some ideas for different add-ins below.
Homemade Granola Ingredients:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Rolled oats
- Nuts: your choice.
- Chia seeds (like these ones) and flax seeds
- Coconut oil (I use this one)
- Vanilla extract
Healthy Granola Recipe Tips
- Use a mild tasting oil like coconut oil or avocado. We usually use coconut oil, but you could also substitute avocado oil or even olive oil (although it can have a stronger olive flavor).
- If you are like me and can’t eat nuts, just leave them out or use hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds.
- Change up the add-ins. Switch the nuts to your favorite kind. My mom loves pecans, but you could also use walnuts, cashews, almonds, etc. Add in dark chocolate or look below for even more ideas.
- See ideas on a few different healthy ways to eat it!
- If you need this to be completely gluten free (i.e. you have celiac) than use gluten free oats, since cross contamination happens frequently with regular oats.
- If you don’t have flax seed just double the amount of chia seeds or leave them out completely.
How To Eat Granola
- With a spoon… Okay kind of kidding. Eat it as a breakfast cereal with milk and a spoon.
- Top your favorite yogurt or ice cream with it.
- Snack on it by the handful.
- Slice some apples with peanut butter and sprinkle granola over it.
- You could also do this with bananas.
How To Make This Homemade Granola Recipe – Step By Step
Preheat oven to 325. In a large bowl, mix together rolled oats, nuts (if you desire), chia seeds, flaxseeds, and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
Combine wet & dry ingredients together. Spread evenly onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Let cool and store in an airtight container.
Healthy Granola Recipe Add-Ins
- Nuts or seeds: walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, or sunflower seeds and hemp hearts would be delicious in this recipe. Heck maybe even peanuts.
- Chocolate chips (after it has completely cooled).
- Shaved coconut
- Dried fruit (I would add this after baking)- cranberries. blueberries. peaches. or chopped dried pineapple would be tasty.
Want more homemade granola recipes? Check these out
- Pumpkin Spice Granola is a fall twist on this classic recipe.
- Cinnamon Raisin Granola Bars
- Chewy Chocolate Granola Bars is a healthy nut free and paleo recipe.
Healthy Homemade Granola Recipe
This homemade granola recipe is super simple to make and has just a few real food ingredients. Yes, there is fat. But fat is your friend, friends. Don’t avoid it… embrace it for all its beauty. Your body will thank you.
Homemade Granola Recipe
Healthy homemade granola is a sweet and salty snack or perfect addition to yogurt.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pecans or your favorite nut
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 325.
In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Combine wet and dry ingredients together.
Spread evenly onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Let cool and store in an airtight container.
You can add dried fruit and/or chocolate chips after granola has cooled.
What type of oats should you use to make homemade granola?
Rolled or old fashioned oats will work. You don’t want to use quick cooking oats as these are already processed.
How long does homemade granola last?
Up to a month in an air-tight container, but that is only if you can keep it that long without eating it.
How do you make healthy granola?
I think healthy recipes starts with the ingredients. This recipe is made with all natural ingredients, healthy fats, and no refined sugars. Still consider moderation since you don’t just want to eat the whole pan at one time, because that my friends would not be super healthy.
There you have it, lots of great information on how to make your very own homemade granola. We love this recipe and really hope your family does to.
If you try this recipe and love it… please come back and give it 5 stars.
Have you ever made granola before and if you have what are your favorite add ins?