Kaia loves these treats….. Isn’t she cute and just look at those crazy eyes, gotta love them!
By the way we found out that Kaia is HEART WORM FREE finally WOOOO HOOO!
Just in case you didn’t know I love my little Kaia. We don’t have kids yet, so she is my baby right now. My friends would tell you I love animals to the extreme (I’m a little crazy). And you may know I am in graduate school to become a Registered Dietitian. So this means I am kind of a food freak and really care about nutrition, even for Kaia. That means we only give her good holistic dog food without any added by products or ingredients I wouldn’t eat myself. Since I am still in school we are on a tight budget, so Kaia a lot of times goes without treats or just gets fruits and veggies as treats. Side note: dogs love carrots.
A good way to make sure the treats are healthy and to save money is by making treats yourself. My friend shared this recipe from A Kitchen Muse with me and Kaia loved them! This would also be a great gift idea for a dog lover in your life!
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a stand mixer, mix together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon
- Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff.
- Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces or use cookie cutter
- Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes.
Than place in an adorable mason jar like this!