Learn how to make raw milk yogurt in this simple tutorial. Follow the step by step tutorial on homemade raw milk.
This post was updated July 2019
Yogurt is a staple in our house.
My hubs loves it, I love it, and of course the pooches love it too! We probably love it too much since we go through it way to quickly.
Store bought organic yogurt can cost you a penny or two. Plus, here in Illinois you can’t buy raw milk at the store (lame sauce).
I love raw milk, but I’m not a big milk drinker so making raw yogurt is best of both worlds.
I’m getting the health benefits of raw milk with the added bonus of the active cultures of yogurt.
One huge reason I love real milk so much is because I can have it without breaking out in eczema! I have had a dairy allergy for years (I break out almost immediately) and with raw milk I don’t!
Making yogurt is a really simple and inexpensive. Luckily were we live I can get raw milk relatively inexpensive.
It costs me $1 for 32 oz of yogurt. Can’t beat that!
Disclaimer: It is important when consuming raw milk that you know where the milk is coming from. We get our milk from a tiny farmer with one cow and has very clean practices.
There is a risk of food borne illness with raw milk (although there is a risk with pasteurized milk too). Here is an article about raw milk.
Tools you will need to make homemade raw milk yogurt:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Yogurt starter: You can use a pre-made yogurt or buy specific yogurt starter.
How To Make Raw Milk Yogurt
This recipe makes 32-48oz of yogurt.
Step one: Heat the milk and water
In a saucepan, gently heat raw milk on medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 110 F.
You only want to heat it to 110 F in order to grow the cultures without killing the good bacteria in the raw milk and yogurt.
While the milk is heating gently heat warm water until it also reaches 110 F
Step 2: Add the yogurt starter
Once it reaches 110 F, turn off the head and whisk in 3 tbs organic yogurt or use a yogurt starter for the bacteria starter.
Step 4: Place in jars
Pour into mason jars or another type of jar that has a screw on lid, screw on the lid, and place into a crockpot.
Step 5: Ferment
Then gently pour the warm water around the jars, put on the crockpot lid, place in a warm spot, and cover the crock with towels for insulation.
Allow to sit for 8-12 hours.
Step 6: Store
Once it is done fermenting, I like to stir in honey and then refrigerate. The honey is easier to mix in while the yogurt is room temperature.
Store for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Check out our favorite easy recipes:
- Homemade Frozen Yogurt – 5 Minutes (No Ice Cream Machine)
- Chocolate Cauliflower Smoothie Recipe
- Blueberry Lemon Bars Recipe
- Baked French Toast Casserole With Blackberry Syrup
- Easy Homemade Granola Recipe
How To Make Raw Milk Yogurt – Homemade Yogurt Recipe
If you try this recipe and love it, I would greatly appreciate if you came back and rated it. Please and thank you!
Homemade Raw Milk Yogurt
- 4-6 cups raw milk
- 3 tbs organic plain yogurt bacteria starter
- In a saucepan, gently heat raw milk on medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 110 F.
- While the milk is heating gently heat warm water until it also reaches 110 F.
- Once it reaches 110 F, turn off the head and whisk in 3 tbs organic yogurt for the starter.
- Pour into mason jars or another type of jar that has a screw on lid, screw on the lid, and place into a crockpot.
- Then gently pour the warm water around the jars, put on the crockpot lid, and place in a warm spot and cover the crock with towels for installation.
- Allow to sit for 8-12 hours.
- Once it is done fermenting I like to stir in honey and then refrigerate. The honey is easier to mix in while the yogurt is room temperature.
- Store for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Have you tried raw milk yogurt?