This Cheesy Mexican Black Beans Recipe are a simple and healthy side dish or dip that are made with only four ingredients and come together in just five minutes.
Oh my! This cheesy Mexican black beans recipe are amazing. Seriously, they are delicious. August, my 17 month old, ate a whole bowl of them and kept asking for more.
Or, as she would say, “Mo… peeese!”, while using the ‘more’ sign in sign language.
Seriously, can you get any cuter that that?
We might have made this recipe multiple times for lunch this week, because they are so easy and delicious.
Do you have five minutes? Well, you can make a big pot of these quick and easy beans in five minutes. Who says real food has to be time-consuming and hard? They are all liars. This is like healthy fast food!
You can eat these beans with a spoon, or some chips, or put them in tacos, or top them on nachos. Eat it as a side or as the main dish.
Anyway you make them, these black beans are just darn good food.
Grass-Fed Cheese – A Healthier Option
On a recent visit to our local Aldi, I found they had Kerry Gold cheese as one of their specialty items. Aldi can truly be amazing sometimes. Kerry Gold is cheese made from the milk of cows on pasture (AKA grass-fed), and it is so delicious.
Grass-fed meat and dairy are healthier for you than conventional. Just a little fun fact. Normally, we avoid most dairy (raw dairy is ok for me, and hubby won’t try it unless it’s in something), but lately we’ve been adding a little bit back in to see how our bodies react.
We’ve been on this real food healing journey for about 2.5 years and have been avoiding most dairy during that time. But so far, not so good! Hubby’s stomach hasn’t been bothering him if he eats a little bit hear and there which is awesome.
But after I ate this a few times I noticed my joints starting hurting a bit and my face breaking out. So I’ll be avoiding dairy again.
Good news is Libby still eats lots of dairy, so some blog posts will still contain dairy.
We might have made this Mexican black bean recipe multiple times for lunch this week, because they are so easy and delicious. Do you have five minutes?
Well, you can make a big pot of these beans in five minutes. Who says real food has to be time-consuming and hard? They are all liars. This is like healthy fast food!
Health Benefits Of Black Beans
Black beans are chalk full of healthy nutrients like fiber, folate, iron, phosphorus, B6, calcium, magnesium, potassium manganese, copper, and zinc.
Black beans may help reduce blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease, and promote healthy strong bones. (Source)
Tips For Making Mexican Black Beans
- Mash them for a finer texture. This gives them a more refined bean texture.
- Add more cheese if your heart desires. Cheese from grass-fed cows offer a healthier option.
- While cooking, mix the beans frequently to prevent burning.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tools You May Need:
Potato masher (optional)
How To Make Mexican Black Beans
- Rinse and drain canned black beans. Or prepare beans from dry.
- Place beans in a pot over medium heat.
- Stir in salsa, cumin, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix until cheese has melted and beans are hot. About 5-10 minutes.
- Mash with a potato masher if you want a more refined bean texture.
- Top with cilantro and more cheese (if desired), and serve. See below for serving recommendations.
How do you make black beans taste good?
If beans aren’t your favorite thing, there are so many way to make
This recipe spices them up with some cheese (which makes everything taste better right?), salsa, and some spices. This gives the black beans an amazing flavor.
You can also try my favorite brownie hummus. You will never know that what you are eating is healthy.
What do you eat black beans with?
These are delicious as the main dish or serve as a side, but if you are wanting some more ideas, here are a few of our favorites:
Tacos – yum. Black bean tacos are one of our favorites or add some of these to your favorite chicken or beef taco recipe.
Serve over rice
Toast – smother this recipe over some bread.
Make them into quesadillas.
Add them to a burrito or burrito bowl.
How long will these stay in the fridge?
These will stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days. Store in an air tight container like these glass containers.
To reheat – just pop in the microwave for a few minutes, taking out and mixing occasionally to ensure even cooking. Or reheat on the stove top for 5-10 minutes until hot and bubbly.
If they are a bit dry you can add a tbs or two of salsa or a tsp of oil.
Love Mexican food like us? Find more of our favorite recipes here:
- Pork Carnitas Recipe – Pressure Cooker Or Slow Cooker
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas: Easy Weeknight Dinner
- Easiest Homemade Guacamole Ever
- Black Bean Quesadillas With Blackberry Enchilada Sauce
- Easy Taco Hummus
Mexican Black Beans Recipe
If you try and love this recipe, I would greatly appreciate you coming back and giving it a 5 star recipe!
Cheesy Mexican Black Beans
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 oz cheddar cheese I used Kerry Gold Skiig - just throw a bunch of cheese in there, but don't use pre-shredded cheese - it's full of fillers.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain black beans. Place beans in a pot over medium heat. Stir in salsa, cumin, cheese, and salt and mix until cheese has melted and beans are hot. Serve and enjoy.
Do you love Mexican food? What’s your favorite Mexican food?
This post was updated September 2019