Honey Popcorn – Sweet Popcorn Recipe
Delicious and sweet honey popcorn is a great real-food snack. Cooked on the stove-top, this sweet popcorn recipe will become a family favorite that works perfect for movie night.
Healthy Snack Backstory
Ok friends today this is a new one on this blog… I’m sharing a recipe my hubby came up with!
Since we can’t eat ice cream anymore (read why here) and I’m too lazy to make coconut milk ice cream many days, he came up with this recipe when he wanted something sweet after dinner.
It’s super simple and contains healthy real food ingredients like honey (preferably local), coconut oil, and popcorn.
My hubby’s cooking skills have definitely gotten better since we started dating many years ago.
Let’s just say the first time he cooked he made plain chicken on the George Foreman with green beans. Plain… yea… Of course I pretended like it was delicious (we just started dating and you know… I wanted to impress him).
Now, he does a lot of cooking in our house and he has gotten much more creative, started adding fresh herbs, and everything tastes a lot better! This recipe is definitely the best thing he makes and it’s so super simple!
We’ve been eating this popcorn many nights during the week! It’s sweet, salty, and crunchy! Yummm! It’s hard to stop eating this when you start.
I may have eaten the entire bowl after this photo shoot and then felt a little sugared up afterwards. I wouldn’t recommend eating the entire bowl by yourself. Or you can, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Is honey popcorn healthy?
This is a great real-food snack that is pretty healthy. This recipe contains healthy fats, is naturally sweetened with un-refined sugar, and naturally low calorie popcorn. Get that yummy sweet crunch in a healthy way.
Tips For Making Honey Popcorn
- Heat the oil up before adding all of your popcorn kernels. This will help against burning the popcorn.
- Use an oil with a high smoke point. For this recipe I used coconut oil, avocado would also work well.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon to the honey before adding it to the popcorn for a delicious twist.
- Mix the honey into the popped kernels in batches to make sure the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Bring napkins, it’s a bit messy.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tools and ingredients you will need:
- Popcorn kernels
- Coconut oil
- Pot with lid
- Measuring spoons (like these)
How To Make Honey Popcorn
In a medium to large saucepan that has a lid, place 3 tbs of coconut oil and 3 popcorn kernels.
Once the popcorn kernels start to pop, add in the remaining ⅓ cup of kernels, place the pot lid over pot.
Continuously move the saucepan rapidly over the heat holding onto the lid until the kernels stop popping or slowing down a lot.
Place half of popcorn in a large bowl, drizzle half of the honey to the popped popcorn and mix.
Add the rest of the popcorn and honey, salt to taste, and stir together.
Find more of our family favorite snack ideas:
- Healthy Snack Ideas For Kids + Energy Bar Recipe
- Brownie Batter Hummus Recipe
- Blackberry Protein Cookie Recipe
- Healthy Gluten Free Apple Muffins
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins With Chocolate Chips
Honey Popcorn – Sweet Popcorn Recipe
If you try this recipe and love it, I would really appreciate if you came back and gave it 5 stars. Please and thank you!
Homemade Honey Popcorn
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels preferably organic
- 2-3 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs honey preferably local
- salt to taste
- In a medium to large saucepan, place 3 tbs of coconut oil and 3 (yes 3) popcorn kernels.
- Once the popcorn kernels start to pop, add in the ⅓ cup of kernels and continuously move the pan over the heat.
- Move the saucepan rapidly over the heat (be careful) holding onto the lid until the kernels stop popping.
- Place half of popcorn in a large bowl, add 1 Tbs of honey and mix. Add the rest of the popcorn and honey, salt to taste, and stir together
- Enjoy your sweet and delicious popcorn.
Pin It For Later
This post was updated September 2019
Would love to try it! Love anything sweet and salty!! Thanks for sharing! http://www.unfadingbeautyblog.com
Next time I’ll have to try baking this after I add the honey. It’s a mess to eat otherwise. Very tasty and what I was looking for, but you can’t multi-task. Or, at least you need one hand dedicated to eating sticky popcorn while multi-tasking with the other. 🙂
Yes it can be a little messy haha. I just lick my fingers! Glad you liked it otherwise!