This post was updated April 2019
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Backstory
Why should you make your own toilet bowl cleaner?
Conventional toilet bowl cleaners are full of harmful chemicals and fragrances that are not only unhealthy for you, but also the environment. Every time you use one of these chemicals you are flushing the toxic chemicals down the toilet to pollute the environment and our water systems.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tips for making your own toilet bowl cleaner:
- Get a good toilet brush for cleaning, it can make a huge difference.
- Use anti-bacterial type of essential oils like On Guard.
- Let the homemade toilet bowl cleaner sit in the toilet for a few minutes to sit. I like to add it to the toilet, then clean the rest of the bathroom, and then clean.
- Use this along with my DIY all-purpose cleaner to get the whole bathroom sparkly.
How do you deodorize a toilet naturally?
Baking soda is an amazing deodorizer. Simply spring baking soda into the toilet bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Spray with all-purpose cleaner on the outside and on the inside of the toilet. Scrub toilet bowl with brush and wipe down rest of the toilet with a paper towel or reusable cloth. Make sure to clean the inside underneath rim of the bowl.
Tips for making homemade toilet bowl cleaner:
- Allow the baking soda and vinegar mixture to sit for a few minutes before scrubbing for extra deodorizing power.
- Add essential oils to help disinfect, remove odors, and make it smell prettier.
- The brush can make a big difference. Make sure to get a nice toilet brush that scrubs well.
- You can also make a liquid version following my recipe below.
- For the biggest bang for your buck get your baking soda at like Costco or Sam’s Club.
Love natural cleaning products? Try some of our favorites..
- DIY Furniture Polish – with 3 ingredients you can clean and protect your wood surfaces.
- Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner has been my go to for years.
- DIY Glass Cleaner… coming soon.
- Learn how to clean your home naturally with these 15 tips.
- If you don’t want to DIY, my favorite non-toxic cleaner is Branch Basics.
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Recipe
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup or more of vinegar
- Few drops essential oils (optional)
Liquid Toilet Cleaner Recipe
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup natural dish soap – I like Ecos brand
- 2 tbs distilled water
- 20 or more drops essential oils
How do you make liquid toilet cleaner?
Mix together baking soda, natural dish soap, essential oils and water.
To use: Place in squirt bottle and squirt into the toilet. Add hydrogen peroxide or vinegar (don’t use vinegar if using castile soap). wait a few minutes and then scrub with a toilet brush.
Like always, easy as pie! Would I do anything more? 🙂