To make this cleaner you will need: water, vinegar, natural dish soap, and essential oils.
Who wants and all natural non-toxic cleaner without spending a fortune on it? We do, we do!
I love this cleaner so much that it gets used everywhere in the house! Kitchen, windows, bathrooms, the car. You name it we probably use it there. To get rid of a zit… (movie reference anyone??)…
Kidding of course, although with the ingredients included in this homemade all-purpose cleaner it may just work.
I’ve tried many recipes before and it seems like they all leave streaks or residue on glass. So I created my own years about 5 years ago and still love it to this day. Of course this is extremely frugal as it cost just pennies, and it is natural.
It really simple to make and it does amazing job at getting rid of tough dirt and grime. It also includes strong disinfecting essential oils so you can be certain it is getting rid of unwanted germs
Why make your own DIY All-Purpose Cleaners?
Safe cleaning products are really important to our family. Unfortunately, conventional cleaning products have a huge impact on our health and not in a positive way. When it comes to ingredients used, the FDA doesn’t have strict regulations and many companies don’t list all the ingredients the products include (source).
They can also have a huge impact on lung health and can greatly increase asthma. During my childhood, I had horrible asthma, and every time I would clean, it would flare up. It wasn’t until I was out of the house, that it became clear… the products we were using was playing a huge role in my asthma symptoms.
Most conventional cleaning products are ladder with “fragrances.” This is a general term for hundreds of potentially toxic chemicals. Chemicals found “fragrances” have been shown to be endocrine disruptors and carcinogenic.
Personally, we avoid synthetic fragrances at all cost and opt for essential oils to naturally scent things. Not only for long term health, but also I’m super sensitive to fragrances, and when I smell them, they make me nauseous and usually give me a headache. Even some so-called “natural” brands can contain synthetic fragrances.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tips for making DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
- Don’t use regular castile soap. Castile soap is does not mix well with vinegar.
- Use anti-bacterial essential oils like Germ Fighter (Thieves like oil) or Germ Destroyer (Kids safe version), tea tree, eucalyptus, or citrus oils for a fresh smell.
- If you don’t go through cleaning products super fast, than use distilled water.
How To Make DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner Ingredients:
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 squirt of natural dish washing soap like Ecover, Sun and Earth, or even a little squirt of Dr. Bronners sals-suds (Don’t use regular castile soap as it doesn’t mix with vinegar well).
- 10-20 drops of anti-bacterial oils for disinfecting like Germ Fighter, Germ Destroyer, or tea tree.
- Other essential oils like lemon or orange to make it smell all pretty (optional) just put add drops until desired smell is accomplished
Directions: mix all ingredients in a spray bottle and go to work! Thats it! Easy as pie!
Step- By-Step Direction To Making DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
Add vinegar to spray bottle.
Add dish soap.
Add essential oils and water.
Get to cleaning.
Note: If you have granite counter tops, skip the vinegar and add 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol.
How To Use Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner
Use anywhere that you would normally use an all purpose or glass cleaner. Spray on and wipe off.
DIY All-Purpose Cleaner Video
Want More Natural Cleaning Tips? Check these out!
- Make your own Natural Furniture Polish
- Natural Cleaning Tips to clean your house from top to bottom.
- Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner
DIY All-Purpose Cleaner Recipe
DIY All Purpose Cleaner
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 squirt natural dish washing soap like eco-cover sun and earth, or even a little squirt of Dr. Bronners sals-suds (Don't use regular castile soap as it doesn't mix with vinegar well).
- 10-20 drop essential oils tea tree oil or other anti-bacterial oils for disinfecting
- Directions: mix all ingredients in a spray bottle and go to work! Thats it! Easy as pie!
DIY All-Purpose Cleaner FAQ
What essential oils works best for disinfecting?
Germ Destroyer, Germ Fighter, tea tree, eucalyptus, rosemary, are all great disinfectants.
What is the best homemade cleaner?
This one… Ok, a little bias over here, but we’ve used this recipe in our house for 7 years and it has worked wonders for us.
I don’t want to DIY! Are there good natural store-bought options?
Yes! There are many natural store-bought options. They will not be as frugal as this one. Recently, I was introduced to Branch Basics and have fallen in love. It works amazing. It’s crazy how well it works. You could also try
Have you ever made your own DIY all-purpose cleaner before?