It’s been too long since I’ve shared a recipe here on the blog. The other night I whipped this Tex Mex Rice Bowl recipe up on a whim and it was soooo good it had to be shared. My hubby even loved it and he is one of those guys that just tells me everything tastes “fine” only after I have prompted him. So when he tells something is really good you know you have a winner.
This is a great weekday meal. The first time I made it, it was made from some leftover rice and chicken. And you can really style it any way you fancy. Add chicken or beef, or for a vegetarian option use beans. I’m a meat kind of gal. You know the grass fed, pasture raised kind. But since our budget is much tighter these days I decided to throw in a few vegetarian meals and so lunch was this made with black beans. Still delicious.
Tex-Mex Rice Bowl
- 3 cups of cooked rice or cook 1 cup rice with 2 cups water until done
- 1 cup of corn
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 lime halved
- bunch of cilantro chopped
- Protein of choice- leftover shredded chicken beef, or black beans
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 2 tbs of oil coconut oil is my favorite
- In a skillet add oil, chopped, onion and corn. In the same skillet, add the halved lime face down. While that is cooking chop of rest of the indents, cook rice or heat up leftover rice, and heat up the protein of choice. You can do this in a microwave or if you don't have one like us you can add the protein to the corn and onions. Cook corn and onions until they are cooked through and turning golden brown. Throw it all together and squeeze the lime over you bowl. Enjoy.