Healthy strawberry crisp is made with strawberries with a hint of natural sweetness from honey and the juice of a fresh orange, and topped with oats, dates, and coconut oil. This healthy dessert is so simple to make and is gluten free. Follow my tips below to make the best strawberry crisp recipe.
Ingredients you will need: strawberries, oats, honey or maple syrup, orange, dates, coconut oil, and coconut flour.
This post was updated December 2018
This past Sunday was one out of fairy tales. We attended church in the morning and then had a full day of fun. We went to the park to swing and watch the baby geese, then picked a million strawberries, played in the pool, and then she was so darn tired she took a nice nap while mama baked this gluten free strawberry crisp.
It was one of those days I will remember for a long time and I hope we have many many more days like this to come. Usually Sunday’s include going to church and then spending time blogging. But my husband begged me to have a family day instead- he really didn’t have to twist my arm to hard. Have fun in the beautiful 80 degree weather instead of working? Yes please.
So now as baby girl naps, I type up this little gem of a recipe with the smell of the strawberry crisp wafting through the air.
This strawberry crisp is made with delicious strawberries, a hint of natural sweetness from honey and the juice of a fresh orange, and is thickened with coconut flour. Then it is topped with gluten free oats, dates, and some coconut oil. Yummy. Delicious and healthy without added sugar. Can you get much better than that? Yes, by eating the whole crisp by yourself. Just kidding I shared. Only because I need a recipe taster. We polished this baby off in one day. Uh huh between the two of us… mostly me. This is why we don’t keep desserts in the house.
Tips For Making Strawberry Crisp
- I like to pat dry the strawberries before slicing. It is a good idea to get rid of any unnecessary extra moister.
- If you don’t have an orange you could also sub the orange juice and zest for lemon juice and zest.
- For those who are celiac disease, use gluten free oats as regular oats can be contaminated with gluten since they many times share the same equipment with gluten containing foods.
- I like to use ripe strawberries that are in season, because they have a much better flavor than out of season non-ripe strawberries.
How To Make Strawberry Crisp
Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
Wash and slice 6 cups of strawberries and place in a bowl.
Add honey, coconut flour, salt, orange zest, and juice from 1/2 orange. Stir and place in a baking dish or pie pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
While the filling is baking, place 1/2 cup of oats and dates in a food processor or blender and pulse until dates are the size of a grain of rice. Mix the other 1/2 cup of oats into the date oat flour mixture and top strawberry filling.
To finish the crisp, top oat mixture with small dollops of coconut oil or butter and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Need more gluten free dessert ideas? Try these!
- My favorite Vegan Fudge
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Banana Bread
- This is the best gluten free pie crust!
- Gluten free blueberry pie is a family favorite.
Strawberry Crisp Recipe
Healthy and gluten free strawberry crisp is a delicious and easy baked dessert your family will love.
GF Strawberry Crisp
- 6 cups strawberries
- 2 Tbs honey
- zest from 1/2 orange
- juice from 1/2 orange
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup dates- I used pitted Deglet about 6
- 1 cup oats
- 1 Tbs coconut oil or butter
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Wash and slice 6 cups of strawberries and place in a bowl. Add honey, coconut flour, salt, orange zest, and juice from 1/2 orange. Stir and place in a baking dish or pie pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the filling is baking, place 1/2 cup of oats and dates in a food processor or blender and pulse until dates are the size of a grain of rice. Mix the other 1/2 cup of oats into the date oat flour mixture and top strawberry filling. To finish the crisp, top oat mixture with small dollops of coconut oil or butter and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
One way to make this recipe better… Add ice cream. Everything is better with ice cream.
Strawberry Crisp FAQ
What is the difference between a crumble and a crisp?
According to Taste Of Home, a crumble and crisp are pretty similar since they both are baked fruit desserts. Crumbles usually have a streusel topping that includes butter, flour, and sugar. Whereas a crisp usually includes oats. So this recipe could also be called strawberry crumble since the topping does include oats, but also includes a fat and a sweetener.
What makes this strawberry crisp healthy?
I consider this recipe healthy because it is made with real food natural ingredients. Also, it contains no refined sugar and is sweetened with honey (or maple syrup) and dates.
Is this recipe vegan?
You could totally make this recipe vegan by using maple syrup instead of honey. Just depends on how strict of a a vegan you are. I gave some of my vegan fudge to my friend, but that batch was made with honey instead of maple syrup and she told me she was not that kind of vegan. So if you are vegan you can make it which way you would like.
Have you ever picked strawberries or made a crisp before?