Learn how to make homemade drain cleaner to naturally unclog your drain. All you need is two ingredients and some water to make this easy and effective recipe.
For the last month or maybe two both are sink and shower have been clogged up. Because let’s be honest, it is one of those chores you put off until you have to do it. Anyone else?
This is disgusting in so many ways! If you would have saw our shower you would have been appalled. I felt gross getting in it.
So finally I told my husband the only goal for this weekend was to clean out the drains.
This natural homemade drain cleaner really helps loosen the goop.
Our drains are happy and working again! And our tub is clean! What a relief!
Why should you make your own homemade drain cleaner?
Commercial Products Are Toxic:
The problem is commercial products is: they are dangerous, contain harsh chemicals, pollute our waterways, and nasty fumes (source). There is nothing really safe about adding toxic chemicals down a drain.
All those things don’t mix when one you are trying to be “green” and two you own a bird (that’s a story for another time).
This recipe is all natural:
Made with just baking soda, water, and vinegar, this recipe is as non-toxic and cheap as it gets. These are staple ingredients to make other homemade products like toilet bowl cleaner or shower scrub.
It is super inexpensive
This recipe is so much cheaper then buying the commercial stuff! Save money and it’s natural. My two favorite combinations.
Tips For Making Homemade Drain Cleaner
- If you are really struggling to get a drain clean, try using a plastic hair snake. They work great.
- You can also use a plunger and plunge a drain to help unclog any clogged chunks.
- Always make sure to bring lots of rags or paper towels. It can get pretty messy when trying to clean and unclog drains.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What you need:
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup baking soda
about a half to one gallon of boiling water
Plastic hair snake or wire (like this one)- I prefer the plastic hair snake but I’ve used a dissembled wire hanger in the past. Optional, but I would totally recommend this.
How To Use Homemade Drain Cleaner:
- Remove any noticeable hair or debris from the drain.
- Carefully try and get all the baking soda in the drain.
- Pour 1/2 of the vinegar over the hole. So that the fizzes are forced down.
- Then pour the other 1/2 of the vinegar down.
- Wait 15 minutes then pour the boiling water down the drain. You may need to redo this step a few times.
- Grab a plastic hair snake and place it in the drain, moving it around the inside edges of the drain. Pull out the snake and look in udder disgust of what game out.
Find more natural cleaners:
- Homemade Furniture Polish – Easy Natural Recipe
- DIY All-Purpose Cleaner – Works on Glass
- Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner – 2 Natural Recipes
- Natural Homemade Glass Cleaner
Homemade Drain Cleaner Recipe:
If you try this recipe and love it, I would love if you could come back, commented on the post, and give it 5 stars! Please and thank you.
Homemade Drain Cleaner
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- about a gallon of boiling water
- Plastic hair snake or wire optional
Carefully try and get all the baking soda in the drain.
Pour 1/2 of the vinegar over the hole. So that the fizzes are forced down.
Then pour the other 1/2 of the vinegar down.
Wait 15 minutes then pour the boiling water down the drain. You may need to redo this step a few times.
If stubborn clog still exists, grab the plastic hair snake and place it in the drain, moving it around the inside edges of the drain. Pull out the snake and look in udder disgust of what game out.
Throw out in the trash.
This post was originally published in 2012. Updated November 2019.