Homemade face wash combines simple, natural ingredients to make a gentle and effective homemade face cleanser. This DIY face wash is the perfect recipe for a beginner wanting to start making their own natural products. Follow my tips below to make this simple recipe.
Ingredients you will need: Castile soap, water, dried lavender (optional), oil, honey, and essential oils.
This post was updated July 2019
I’m always on quest to create natural products that are non-toxic and safer for the environment. So many people believe natural skin care is expensive, and it can be if you purchase it from a company.
But there are so many ways to create simple recipes at home. This facial cleanser is one way.
Truth be told, I’m in love with this homemade makeup remover. This is what I use most of the time. But once or twice a week, I like to use this natural homemade facial wash to get my skin extra clean.
I love that it cleans your skin without being too drying. The oil and honey help hydrate the skin, while the lavender water soothes the skin.
This recipe was originally created for this free Natural Skin Mini Guide, but decided to share it here. It was too good not to share, ya know? You can still head over and grab that guide – did I mention it’s totally free?
I love the simplicity of this recipe. Natural, simple, and easy. Basically my motto in life. I ain’t got time to be messing around with fussy stuff. My two kids wouldn’t have that by any means.
Plus, this face wash is super customizable for your skin needs. See below all my tips and possible swaps below.
Homemade face wash tips:
- Use essential oils that are good for your skin, like frankincense, lavender, ylang ylang and more.
- You can use this everyday, or switch it up and use the oil cleansing method.
- Use distilled water to help deter bacteria growth.
- Switch out the dried lavender flowers for dried rose petals or chamomile flowers.
- If this ratio of soap to water is too drying for you, add more water.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Homemade Face Wash Ingredients:
Castile soap: this is an all natural vegetable-derived soap that is ultra concentrated
Lavender water: you could definitely just use regular water, but I love infusing the water with herbs to get more benefits from it. You could also swap out lavender water and use hydrosol instead.
Honey: naturally has an antibacterial property to it, and it can also be hydrating to the skin.
Oil: I like to use avocado oil, jojoba or sweet almond oil. Use whichever one works best for your skin.
Essential oils: adding EO to skincare recipes can be really beneficial. Some essential oils can help fight oily skin (ylang ylang), while others can help acne-prone skin (melaleuca).
How To Make DIY Face Wash:
- In a small saucepan, add water and dried lavender. Bring to a simmer and keep it on the heat until it is reduced to half. Set aside to cool.
- In small glass container, add in honey, oil, and Castile soap.
- Strain lavender water into a container and pour the water into bottle with other ingredients.
- Add essential oils.
- Dampen face with warm water.
- Add a small amount of the homemade face wash to hands and rub hands together to start forming a lather.
- Rub over face in a circular motion for about a minute.
- Rinse with warm water. Follow up with DIY toner and apply moisturizer.
Writing that out makes washing your face seem way more complicated than it is. Truly, it’s just a wash, spritz, moisturize, and go! I hope you enjoy this simple herbal face wash.
Love homemade natural products? Check these other awesome recipes.
- DIY face tonerwill leave your skin feeling refreshed and clearer.
- This homemade face serum is my favorite recipe.
- Foaming hand soap is a staple in our house. So ridiculously simple.
- Dry shampoo is something I couldn’t live without… I may have to wash my hair more too.
Homemade Face Wash Recipe
Simple, natural, and effective DIY face wash recipe to help you switch to natural skin care. If you try this recipe and love it, come back and give it 5 stars. Please and thank you.
Homemade Face Wash
- 1/3 Cup Castile soap
- 1 Cup Distilled water boiled down to 1/2 cup
- 2 Tbs Dried lavender Optional
- 1 Tbs Oil
- 1 Tbs Honey
- 15 Drops Essential oils
- In a small saucepan, add water and dried lavender (or other herbs)and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until it is reduced to half. Set aside to cool.In small glass container, add in honey, oil, and castile soap. Strain lavender flowers out of water and combine pour into bottle with other ingredients.Add essential oils and shake.
Have you tried making your own natural products? What are your favorite products you can’t live without?