The autumn classic made vegan: this vegan pumpkin spice latte recipe is a creamy and delicious drink that tastes like fall in a cup. Follow my tips below to make this addicting fall drink, and entirely plant-based.
Fall is my favorite season. Between the brisk weather, apple picking, pumpkin patches, and warm fall drinks… I’m as basic as it gets, and proud of it.
How could anyone not like fall? My brain can’t compute.
There isn’t anything much more “fall” than the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. Now, I love a good PSL, but it is so expensive, and it isn’t dairy free (even if you get a milk alternative!).
We have a smaller coffee place in town that can actually make a version that is truly dairy free, but it’s still so spendy. Like, 5 dolla for a small. Can’t justify that more than one or two times a year.
So, many years ago (this post is really old, y’all), I started creating my own homemade version to save money, and may I say this version is even better than the original? Especially when it’s topped with some homemade vegan whipped cream. Seriously, yum.
Grab a cozy blanket, sit next to a fire, and dwell in the amazingness of fall.
This recipe is really good, simple, and quick! When I’m sipping on this, I don’t miss Starbucks at all.
Tips For Making This Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte:
- This recipe will make two lattes. If you only need to make one, you can use half the creamer and place the remainder in the fridge for the next day.
- Adjust the amount of pumpkin spice depending on how “spicy” (it’s not really spicy, but you get what I mean, right?) you like it. I use 1 tsp because I adore that flavor, but if you like it more subtle, use 1/2 tsp.
- It’s optional to add vegan whipped cream, but it makes it seriously amazing and gives the drink that creamy, frothy top.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tools you may need:
French press – I use one similar this one.
Measuring spoons – these copped ones are adorable.
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte Ingredients
Strongly brewed coffee or espresso
Milk of choice – I used a little less than 3/4 cup of coconut milk, and added a scoop of coconut cream to make it extra creamy.
Canned pumpkin puree
Vegan coconut whipped cream (again, this is optional, but ohh, does it make it good!)
How To Make Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte
Step 1: Brew Strong Coffee:
Depending on how strong you like your coffee, you can adjust this accordingly. I use my french press and add 8-9 scoops of ground coffee, then I pour in 24 oz of water and allow to steep for 3-5 minutes. Press the strainer down and done.
Step 2: Make The Pumpkin Spice Creamer
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk together milk alternative (I use mostly coconut milk with a spoonful of coconut cream), canned pumpkin, maple syrup, and pumpkin spice.
Gently whisk the mixture occasionally until it begins simmering. Take off heat.
Step 3: Create Your Latte
- There are two ways you can do this. Since this technically makes two lattes, you can keep it seperate and just brew 1/2 cup of coffee for one person, add half the creamer and store the remaining creamer in the fridge for tomorrow. Or, you can brew 1 cup of strong coffee and mix it all together to make two lattes, and pour into mugs.
- Top with vegan whipped cream. Totally optionally, but it seriously takes this latte up 100 points.
- Sprinkle some more pumpkin pie spice on top. Enjoy the wonderful tastes of fall.
Are Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte Vegan?
Not in the US. The sauce used to make the pumpkin spice lattes contains condensed skim milk.
You could create a more vegan-friendly option by ordering a plain or vanilla latte made with a non-dairy milk, and add some pumpkin spice (the actual spice, not the sauce) to it.
Not exactly the same, but it may get you a more similar feel to the classic.
While you will find many recipes on my site that are not vegan, we are a mostly dairy-free family due to allergies and health issues. So I create many of our favorite recipes vegan to avoid cow’s milk.
Find more of my favorite drinks:
- Chocolate Cauliflower Smoothie Recipe
- Berry Beet Smoothie Recipe With Hidden Veggies
- Honey Butter Latte – not vegan, but can be made with simple swaps.
- Pumpkin Apple Pie Smoothie
- Berry Peach Smoothie Recipe
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
If you try this recipe and love it, I would appreciate if you leave a comment and give it 5 stars. Please and thank you!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 3/4 cup milk alternative I use a little less than 3/4 cup of coconut milk and add a spoonful of coconut cream
- 2-3 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbs pumpkin puree
- 1/2-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice just depends on how strong of a pumpkin spice flavor you like. I use 1 tsp.
- 1/4 cup coconut whipped cream
- Make 1 cup strong coffee.Place milk , pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and pumpkin spice. Gently whisk occasionally until it begins to lightly boil. Pour coffee into a mug. Take off heat. I only use about half of the pumpkin cream mixture and put the other half in the fridge for the next day. Dollop on coconut whipped cream and sprinkle more pumpkin spice on top. Enjoy the wonderful taste of fall.
Pin It Later
This post was updated October 2019.