Vegan whipped cream is a super yummy, dairy-free replacement for the stuff out of a can or homemade with heavy whipping cream. If you don’t eat dairy, but need whipped cream in your life, follow my recipe for delicious, vegan whipped cream.
Remember when I posted about figuring out I was allergic to dairy by eliminating it from my diet and seeing my eczema clear up a lot?
Well after struggling to keep dairy out of my diet (seriously, a struggle. Dairy is my favorite food), I decided to do a vegan fast for 3-4 weeks and see what happened. My skin cleared up again, except the spots weren’t going away completely. So to the allergist I went to see if the spots could be caused by something else.
Long story short, the doctor said I wasn’t allergic to dairy (what??), but said if I feel better eliminating it, do it!
I was super shocked that I wasn’t actually allergic to dairy, but also pretty excited, so I went on a dairy kick and ate everything I possibly could. Guess what happened? My skin turned into an irritated, rashy mess. Who saw that one coming?
So even though I’m not technically allergic to dairy, I definitely have some reactions and feel way better when I’m not eating it. Now, I’m back to eliminating it from my diet and trying every way to find good and yummy replacements.
I was really sad about not being able to eat whipped cream, until I discovered this delicious, easy, and natural way to make dairy free whip cream! I’ve seen this in a few different places, and just had to try it. The verdict? It is so, SO good!
Tips For Make Vegan Whipped Cream
Chill the mixing bowl and attachments for at least an hour before making this recipe. Keeping them chilled will help this whip up since warming up the cream will make it not whip up as nicely. It will create stiffer peaks if the cream stays nice and chilled.
What is vegan whipped cream made of?
It is made with just two simple ingredients: the thick coconut cream from a full fat can of coconut milk, and a bit of powdered sugar.
Can you buy vegan whipped cream?
For those that don’t want to make it or just don’t have the time you can now find vegan whipped cream in stores. When I first made this recipe a million years ago, there were no store-bought options. Thankfully, you can now find it from a few different brands. So Delicious, Reddi-Whip, and even Trader Joe’s has a dairy free/vegan option.
Always check the ingredient list, just because it says it’s vegan or dairy free doesn’t mean it is healthy.
Homemade Vegan Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight (be careful not to shake)
- 2-3 Tbs of powdered sugar
- Optional: add 1-2 Tbs of jam or jelly to give it a little fruity flavor, or some cocoa powder for chocolate whipped cream
How To Make Vegan Whipped Cream:
- Place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Be careful not to shake it when opening, and skim off the thick stuff from the top (if it’s not super thick, you might have a bad can. I learned my lesson with this; be safe and purchase a name brand, like Thai Kitchen, or I used Native Forest Organic).
- Place the thick coconut cream in a bowl or stand mixer, and start whipping at a medium speed, working up to a higher speed.
- Slowly add sugar and optional ingredients if desired.
- Whip until very fluffy.
Can store in the fridge uncovered and it will thicken up a bit. Enjoy on anything you’d normally eat with whipped cream, or just eat it straight out of the bowl. No judgement here.
- Coffee with whipped cream and coco powder – this was seriously amazing this morning!
- Get fancy and put it on vegan sugar cookies.
- Use it to top vegan ice cream to make a sundae!
Try more of our favorite vegan or dairy free desserts:
- Decadent Vegan Truffles – Only 5 Ingredients
- Vegan Fudge: Easy Decadent Dessert
- Coconut Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
- Brownie Batter Hummus Recipe
- Blackberry Protein Cookie Recipe
Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe
Tried this recipe and loved it? I would love if you would come back and give it 5 stars. Please and thank you!
Vegan Whipped Cream
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk just the thick coconut cream
- 2-3 tbs powdered sugar
- Place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Be careful not to shake it when opening, and skim off the thick stuff from the top.Place the thick coconut cream in a bowl or stand mixer, and start whipping at a medium speed, working up to a higher speed.Slowly add sugar and optional ingredients if desired.Whip until very fluffy.
Originally published in 2012, this post was update November 2019